Central Canadian Branch History

Our history can be traced back to the mid 1920's when Professor E A Allcut was appointed by the Institution to chair the Canadian Advisory Committee.

Meetings of the Commonwealth Engineering Conference in 1946 and 1950 resulted in Canadian members being encouraged to join the Engineering Institute of Canada. Since the EIC has a mostly civil engineering membership, and is based in Montreal, this did not adequately meet the needs of mechanical engineers in the Ontario Region. Three Canadian committees were formed in 1964 along with a central coordinating committee, which was to promote liaison with the EIC as well as the Institution HQ in London.

The Central Canada Branch was created in October 1971 and continues to perform its core functions of disseminating information from the IMechE H.Q. in London, representing the views of the members in central Canada, supporting members' professional development and representing and promoting the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in central Canada.


© 2011 Institution of Mechanical Engineers. IMechE is a registered charity in England and Wales number 206882