Welcome to the North West Centre of the Process Industries Division
The North West Centre represents the interests of 2000 members of the Process Industries Division in the North West of England who have a professional interest in the process and chemicals industries.
Objectives of the North West Centre
- Create an environment in which engineering knowledge can be readily shared between engineers working in the process industries of the region
- Encourage the involvement of members in the operation and decision making process of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Arrange discussions, meetings, visits and seminars that cover topics of interest and relevance to technical and professional members working within the process industries in the North West
- Act as a link between the Process Industries Division at national level and the members of the North West Centre
- Ensure that the Process Industries Board decisions and policies meet the needs of the members in the North West regions
The activities of the North West Centre are arranged for the single purpose of providing professional support to the members. It is therefore essential that members make their requirements known to the committee.
Registered members have the following benefits:
- Emailed details of each North West Centre event
- Comment on the planning of future events
- Circulate technical queries and professional queries to other members in the region
The North West Centre Chairman is Mr Noel Hensman
Please contact the Chairman or any committee member if you would like further information or would like to become involved in any activities or join our committee.
If you would like to be included on the North West Centre mailing list and hear about the Centre's programme please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Post event report: Introduction to equipment for engineers – Food manufacturing - 15th January 2014
Ian Rigby and the engineering team at Walkers Skelmersdale kindly opened their award winning doors to a group from the IMechE. Ian took the group through the journey the factory has been on over the last 6 years to develop and train their operators and engineers to handle the engineering challenges of an ever evolving, automating, developing manufacturing environment. Read full report
Post event report: Technical tour at AMEC - 16 May 2013
An IMechE visit was conducted to the AMEC laboratories in Birchwood. This was the fifth successive year in a row and popularity has increased, attended by both members and non-members. Visitors ranged from neighbouring companies based at Birchwood to some who had travelled from as far as Sheffield. This year the tour was extended to include the Materials and Corrosion labs in AMEC Technical Services in addition to the Development Test laboratory and the large rig hall.
The main presenters from the AMEC Nuclear Engineering Development were:
- Martin Hooley, Mechanical Engineer- Engineering Development
- Kevin Mottershead, Corrosion Manager - Technical Services
- Andrew Wisbey, Principal Consultant- Technical Services
Read the full report Post event report: Introduction for equipment for engineers - valves (technical lecture) - 14 November 2013
On the evening of the 14th November Stuart Montgomery (AVK’s UK market sector manager for waste water) and Oliver Gambling (AVK’s Key Account Manager – North) made the journey to UCLAN’s Harrington Building to deliver the first in a series of talks and visits from the “Introduction to Equipment for Engineers” series of events on the subject of valves.
The following topics were covered:
• Valves manufactured and supplied by AVK
• The history of water and waste water valves (including showing pictures of 4m butterfly valves)
• Visuals showing the challenges of installing and operating valves and the pitfalls to avoid when designing an installation
Read the full report