Cookie Notice

We use cookies to make parts of our website work, and to improve your visitor experience.
If you only allow necessary cookies, some features of our website may not work.

Country Information


Provisional member of:

Use of the Ingenieur Title in Germany
Due to the UK having ceased to be a member of the European Union on 31 January 2020 and is now in the transition period members may be concerned about professional recognition in Germany and whether any action needs to be taken before the end of the transition period.  

Recognition as an Ingenieur
The situation in Germany for professional engineers has always been different to that in the UK insomuch as the title ”Ingenieur” has since 1970 been protected in law by the Ingenieurgesetz for each Bundesland.  Consequently, all engineers who have attained their qualifications outside of Germany, are required to seek formal approval before they are lawfully allowed to use the title “Ingenieur”.
For most employers, whether or not a “foreign” engineer has the right to use this title is immaterial.  If, as a foreign engineer, you have not sought official approval to use the title, but are employed as an engineer, this indicates that it is not a requirement for your employer. 

For most IMechE members working in Germany, either you already have the lawful right to use the title, or it is not required by your employer. 

Even if your current employer does not require such recognition under German law, members may consider it to be beneficial in the case of future career moves in Germany. This would be a personal decision based on individual circumstances.
I must bring it to your attention that for UK registered engineers the ease of obtaining formal approval for using the title “Ingenieur” may change at the end of the Brexit transition period on 31st December 2020, when the UK ceases to be treated as a member state of the European Union.  Prior to this date an engineer registered with another member state of the EU should be granted recognition on request, albeit subject to an administration charge and various costs as described in "DIRECTIVE 2005/36/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 7 September 2005 on the recognition of professional qualifications" and implemented through the Bundesland Ingenieurgesetzes.  Whether or not it is necessary to have the title for your current employment will not change.

The Engineering Council advises that any UK registered engineers, who are eligible and may need the German title now or in the future, should apply for recognition as soon as possible before the end of the transition period, since all applications lodged before the end of the transition period will be processed according to the present rules and recognition will be honoured post-transition period, whatever subsequent agreements are in place between the UK and Germany.

With regards to obtaining approval, a different authority is responsible for approval in each Bundesland, but once it is obtained approval is valid across the whole of Germany.  The process takes about 6 months to conclude and costs around €350, including translations of the degree results and transcription of results. The curriculum vitae can be written in English or another original language but must be presented in tabular format.

The process for recognition is described in this website:

Further useful information can be found here:

Some members have asked whether the FEANI EUR ING title provides an alternative route to recognition in Germany.  This has been discussed with the VDI who responded "attainment of the EUR ING title outside of Germany does not imply an automatic right to use the “Ingenieur” title in Germany".  Also according to the Deutscher Verband Technisch-Wissenschaftlicher Vereine e.V.(DVT) the EUR ING title may only  be used in Germany by those recognised under the Bundesland Ingenieurgesetz due to the protected status of the Ingenieur title. This is taken to mean that the EUR ING title may only be used after you have been recognised in Germany as an Ingenieur even if you have already been awarded the EUR ING title in another country.

Recognition of Qualifications
A further aspect to be considered is recognition of educational qualifications.  This is managed through the "Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen" (ZAB). Recognition of qualifications is through the "Statement of Comparability"  that describes the foreign higher education qualification, its professional and academic usage. The ZAB Statement of Comparability can facilitate access to the German labour market for holders of foreign higher education qualifications. It is a comparative assessment but not a recognition certificate. The first application currently costs 200€.  As ZAB reviews all non-German qualifications the process is not expected to change at the end of the transition period. As with Ingenieur status, the recognition of qualifications should not affect your current employment but may be worth considering in the case of a career move.

I hope that you find this information useful and emphasise that for most members these recognition activities should not be necessary but you should consider your personal circumstances and possible future plans.  If you decide to achieve recognition as an Ingenieur then there is a window of opportunity to do it before the end of the transition period after which the requirements may be different.

© 2011 Institution of Mechanical Engineers. IMechE is a registered charity in England and Wales number 206882